> Rave Review Of Sid
prelocandkanar
post Apr 21 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Sherpa
Group Icon

Group: Sidster
Member No.: 1,132

Just read this, in an article titled, "Three Underrated Actors: Another Look at Three Skilled, but Under-Appreciated Actors"

Alexander Siddig

Aka Dr. Julian Bashir from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Siddig is another highly skilled actor who has remained extremely prolific these past few years. However he seems to have largely been relegated to token Arab supports. His best so far have been the back-to-back appearances in Kingdom Of Heaven and Syriana, especially the latter where he outshone not only George Clooney, but Matt Damon, William Hurt and Mark Strong as well.

Since then he has spent his time giving the Romans a particularly difficult few years in the TV movie Hannibal and blowing his own head off in Neil Marshall's gore marathon Doomsday. With his commanding presence and assured voice though, he is designed for bigger things.

Of the three men above, Siddig perhaps has the strongest chance of glory but all three deserve a second appraisal. They are far from the only ones though and Hollywood is practically built on forgotten, underrated actors.

How do you like that? "...where he outshone not only George Clooney, but Matt Damon, William Hurt and Mark Strong as well." Sid, are you listening?

Here's the link to the complete article:

http://film-stars.suite101.com/article.cfm...derrated_actors
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mel
post Apr 21 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Helpful Peach
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Right on! 2thumbs.gif

I have to admit, my appreciation of Clooney's work took a hit when he decided to go for the Supporting Actor Oscar for Syriana. If he'd gone for the Leading Actor Oscar instead, I think Sid would have been nominated and possibly won in the Supporting category. I understand why Clooney did it, and it probably was a smart move for him, but I'm still a little miffed.

+Quote Post
POTHOS
post Apr 21 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Squeeing for Britain
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 5

I saw this article and to be honest with strong projects like Cairo Time and Miral on the way I honestly believe Siddig will not be the best kept secret for much longer.

Jude.

--------------------

Humanity is first. We have to look after each other. (Alexander Siddig 2006)

Honorary Number 1 Silly Nanny

"If I Had Half A Brain I'd Be Dangerous" J.W. 2004

If you believe that onions are the only vegetables that can make you cry then you have never been hit in the face with a turnip.

+Quote Post
fangirl
post Apr 21 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Sherpa
Group Icon

Member No.: 399

Sid has always deserved more recognition than he has received. His work is first class. I remember watching the end credits for Syriana and I was shocked when his name did not come up until far down the list, given his performance and role in the movie. Perhaps he will never attain the celebrity status of some, (not a bad thing in my mind) but those who have had the pleasure of seeing his work will never forget him.

Joy

+Quote Post
ulli
post Apr 22 2009, 06:06 AM
Post #5

The ketchup in a Heroes sandwich.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13

I think that quality is always better than quantity. As for him playing "Arabs", I think it has been discussed often enough and I think I have stated often enough that only the quality and depth of a character matters. Great review, though. biggrin.gif

As for Syriana: The names in the end credits (except for Clooney, Damon and Wright) were listed alphabetically, so I don't think there was any more to it.wink.gif
I actually was more disappointed that it was not nominated for best picture since that would have been something for the entire cast and since I find it difficult to find one actor/character who was the lead. It was an ensemble piece. The Oscars are still entertainment but you can't deny that there are also a lot of political things that influence everything. I think Clooneys nomination made sure the movie won at least one of those little golden statues which is a good thing.
I think people have not forgotten Sid's performance.

Oh, and, great review! biggrin.gif (Can't be said often enough.)

Ulli

+Quote Post
TOC
post Apr 22 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #6

Saracen
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 9

Last night Rachel Maddow was talking about an actual story, but used movie titles to illustrate it. It started with just a spy story, then a spy story that included corrupt politicians, then there was another twist and finally it was like Syriana! It's probably not a good thing when you're a politician and a newsperson compares your story to that plot.

Carol

--------------------
"IN A WORLD FULL OF WONDERS, HUMANS INVENTED BOREDOM. AMAZING!" Death observes in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

+Quote Post
debbie
post Apr 24 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #7

Sherpa
Group Icon

Member No.: 847

A great review, thanks for this I really look forward to catching up with his latest projects and look forward to next year

Siddig truely deserves thjs praise

Debbie

+Quote Post
Peridot
post Apr 25 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #8

Radio Operator
Group Icon

Member No.: 768

I read an article that talked about the qualities that make a movie star. Citing examples like Humphrey Bogart and Sean Connery, it said a distinctive voice is something all the great stars have. Sid certainly qualifies. And as for outshining the big-name actors he works with...well, I'm sure not looking at Matt Damon or Orlando Bloom when Sid's in a scene with them....So here's the question--Why don't the people who run the film industry recognize how absolutely stellar Sid is?

Peridot

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 09:24 AM